Friday, June 26, 2015

An example of a Family Post...the Dan Sieben Family



Dan Sieben grew up on the Sieben Farm, just north of Geneseo, Illinois and last fall at age 72 moved with his wife, Kay, to the small, beautiful lakeside town of Ajijic (Ahh-hee-HEEK) just south of Guadalajara, Mexico…where they intend to be for the duration.  A lot happened between Geneseo and Ajijic.     I worked on the farm every summer until 1962…but that summer after my sophomore year at Northwestern University, I worked in Germany (not far from Abenheim) and then did the (less than) $5 a day thing throughout much of Europe.  That opened my eyes to the World.  After Northwestern I worked for a while in Japan…and then continued on a trip around the world, stopping for a while to work in London.  I was an International Fellow at Columbia University where I received my MBA…just in time to serve in Vietnam, but chose instead to spend two years in the Peace Corps in Lima, Peru.  Upon returning to the US, I founded a company which grew rapidly around the world (www.bomanite.com) and then sold it in 1989…which at age 47 allowed freedom to travel and become involved on non-profit boards doing work in Africa and the former Soviet Union.  Kay and I were married in 1977 (got our marriage license on 7/7/77—a sieben thing) and had two daughters—Michelle and Robin.  Michelle is a nurse practitioner in New Haven, CT…and Robin is a program director in the Dean’s office at the Stanford University Medical School.  Michelle and Todd have presented us with three grandchildren, and Robin and Dave are set to present us with TWINS (!) this coming November.  “Once an entrepreneur, always an entrepreneur” describes my temperament…and our current dream is to build and operate a Continuing Care Retirement Community here in Mexico…but right now I’m part of a team building and operating a state-of-the-art outpatient surgery center in Guadalajara, and also part of a team planning to create and operate a “sober house” here in Ajijic for recovering drug and alcohol addicts from the US.  Photography’s a hobby…and I’ll have my camera with me in Montana!

And if you'd like, I've put almost my entire life on Facebook...  You can drill into the photos and photo albums and learn more than you need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment